Saturday 2 August 2008

Age of Aquarius

Humans have been decorating their bodies with the beauty of natural objects for thousands of years. And it is continue till now. Some woman even feel naked if she is not wearing a jewellery. And its being part of our everyday life no matter expensive it is. For example, a wedding ring. That’s why one of my passion is making a beautiful jewellery.

My jewellery project idea for my Masters degree is called “Age of Aquarius” it is inspired from and by my natural environment that I have grown up in and around. I am from Indonesia which is a group of islands in South East Asia, so I have always been surrounded and close to the sea. I used to snorkel and look and be amazed at the different colours and sea life that I could find, and it became apparent to me that it was a very different beautiful and colourful world down there.

For my collection I wanted to try and portray the mystery and colour found on fish, coral and other sealife, and give a sense of paradise to my pieces of jewellery

Today most people think of natural jewellery as shiny pieces of corals, pearls and precious stones polished and set in gold or silver. But I intend for my “marine inspired” collection to be made from materials such as wood, natural stones, scoloured plastics and perspex .

The title “Age of Aquarius” is inspired from the song featured in the famous musical Hair from 1968. I am very interested and inspired by the hippy scene and style of this period and the freedom and beauty within the design from that time, so this I try to combine in my design. The whole hippy movement I find very relevant to today as scenes and fashions seem to go in cycles.

We are also said to of just entered “The age of Aquarius”. Aquarius also means “The Water Carrier”…so for me the title of the collection fits perfectly.


"This is my imaginary project"

2 comments:

Steve said...

Wow!

What an interesting project. I suppose the key thing would be to make the jewellery durable enough (hard with wood, isn't it?).

I love that musical, Hair. My father saw the original production of it in the 60s and I grew up as a child listening to the soundtrack. How did you discover it?

Adiana Sapto said...

I love that musical, Hair. From the soundtrack, the costum and the story to. Its a bit dramatic how a hippie has to go to a war. Did your father really saw it? wow... I found it on the internet than i found the DVD.

Well ya i guess its hard. But i hope with a new technology called laser cutting that will help my work in the future,